This is a variety of BellaVitano Cheese immersed with the rich flavors and fruitiness of Merlot. To understand the full range of flavors and richness this cheese possesses, we must first understand what’s so special about BellaVitano Cheese.
BellaVitano® is a registered trademark of Sartori Company in Antigo, Wisconsin. This American cheese is inspired by traditional Italian farmstead cheeses. The original variety, BellaVitano Gold, was first made in 1999 and resembles a hard cheese with a nutty flavor like Parmesan. It also has a distinct crunch that comes from the calcium crystals that forms from the aging process.
Over time, different varieties of BellaVitano cheese with add-on flavors emerged including:
- Black Pepper: coated in coarse ground black pepper which adds a sharp contrast to the creamy and fruity flavors of the cheese.
- Chai: coated in chai spices including black tea, cinnamon, cloves, etc.
- Balasamic: immersed in immersed Italian balasamic vinegar which adds a rich acidic flavor which contrasts with the sweet and tangy flavors of the aged cheese.
- Raspberry: as the name implies, the cheese is immersed in raspberry ale which amplifies its fruity taste.
- Espresso: coated in ground Italian roast espresso beans which not only is ideal for breakfast and in place of your morning coffee but also adds a slightly smoky flavor.
- Merlot: immersed in a fruity Merlot wine. More on this variety in the next section.
What’s so special about this Merlot Cheese?
While pairing wine and cheese together isn’t exactly a revolutionary culinary concept, immersing and marinating the cheese in Merlot helps lock the berry and plum flavors of the Merlot into the cheese which adds to its already rich variety of other creamy and nutty flavors. This makes this cheese an excellent choice if you already have dried fruits or nuts on your platter. Crusty Italian and French breads also go well with this immensely flavorful cheese as well as a variety of beers and wines including Merlot, Shiraz, Indian pale ale, etc.
Where can I learn more?
Please click the button below to head over to Amazon.com where you can find more detailed information on this cheese. You can also learn more about this Merlot cheese as well as the aforementioned BellaVitano® Cheeses on Sartori’s homepage as well.